How much do you know about circular fashion? Test your knowledge with our quiz.
1. What is the aim of circular design?
A) To prolong the life cycle of a product
B) To loop existing materials continuously back into the fashion system
2. Globally, what percentage of garments are currently collected for reuse or recycling?
3. In 2019 the resale market for clothes grew much faster than the broader retail market. How much faster?
A) 10 times faster
B) 25 times faster
C) 18 times faster
4. Gen Z (b. 1996-2010) consumers are embracing second-hand shopping faster than any other generation. What percentage of Gen Z vs Baby Boomers (b. 1946-64) bought second-hand clothing in 2019?
A) 40 % vs 20 %
B) 30 % vs 20 %
C) 40 % vs 30 %
5. Circular design covers the durability, longevity, reparability, disassembly and recyclability of a product.
6. What percentage of shoppers say they have bought an outfit they only used once?
A) 30 %
B) 70 %
C) 50 %
7. Approximately how many tonnes of GHG emissions could be saved by 2030 if the industry were to switch to circular business models? (e.g. fashion rentals, re-commerce, repair and refurbishment)
A) 94 million tonnes
B) 122 million tonnes
C) 143 million tonnes
8. Which of these innovative circular solutions already exists?
A) Compostable sportswear that can be used as fertiliser
B) Biodegradable clothing yarn made of kelp
9. Of the material used to produce clothing, how much is currently recycled into new clothing?
B) less than 1%
Answers: 1C 2A 3B 4A 5A 6B 7C 8C 9B
Sources: Global Fashion Agenda (2020). CEO Agenda 2020; Global Fashion Agenda (2020). Circular Design Toolbox 2020; ThredUp (2020). Resale Report 2020; Ellen MacArthur Foundation (2017). A New Textiles Economy: Redesigning Fashion’s Future.